Sunday, February 24, 2013

cloud sketching

I have taken to sketching clouds when we go on long journeys.  I have wanted to draw clouds for a long time, but it always seems rather an indulgence to spend valuable time doing such a thing, therefore long car journeys are the perfect time.  Also as we drive over different terrain and at different times of the day the clouds change, in form and colour and size.  Sometimes near to home there are no clouds for quite a while and then slowly little fluffy clouds appear and then a few more and so on.  sometimes is it quite sad to look backwards and see the blue sky over home and look forward to where we are going, which is less blue and more fluffy.  And I have also started to notice that some of them form quite like the japanese stylised clouds, and I like this a lot.  I can draw my own japanese inspired clouds in little old NZ.




They are all very quick sketches as the terrain tends to be quite hilly or mountainous and consequently one minute the cloud is there in view and the next it is behind a mountain never to be seen again or it has changed by the time I see it again.  But I hope to improve with practice.  Bring on the next journey   I have had some struggling with using the initial sketches to make more patterny shapes.  lots more work to be done there, will post some of those tomorow.

3 comments:

PP@pimpmybricks.wordpress.com said...

I love clouds and I particularly love the weather that goes with them. Some of yours look positively chinese!

PP@pimpmybricks.wordpress.com said...

I tried to leave a message on your post yesterday but for some reason it got lost. Your clouds have a positively Chinese feel to them. And one today looks like an octopus! Everyone sees something different in clouds - one reason they're so wonderful, I suppose.

Rosa said...

Why thank you PP! I am rather taken with clouds at the moment and the way they change from one thing to another from one moment to another. And how cloudy they are and also how they are used in art and design and decoration. I did get 2 comments from you and I am sorry but i have only just checked out my blog and found them. so now they are her on proud display!