Sunday, June 23, 2013

stitching

My dearest beloved friend in Australia asked me to make an embroidery for her to put on the back of a coat.  I had done a t-shirt for her for her 40th birthday which she had put on the back of another jacket and she decided it was time for another one.  Given no design brief but for a photo of said jacket, I had a bit of trouble deciding where to go.  We have known each other for many years, and from age eleven and for a few years, we dressed similar like, but life dragged us in different directions, physically and style wise, so I had to just bite the bullet and go with whatever my brain came up with.  These things take on a life of their own after a while. Here are some pictures.
 This was designed around a paper-cut/ doily idea, some black fabric paint and stitching and some waves.  I like it but am undecided as to what she will think.
 It is a picture of my house and her house on different sides of the Tasman Sea.  She has recently started to learn to surf, so there is a picture of her with surf board amongst some waves, some clouds and some manuka flowers.


 My new addiction to pinterest was very helpful, although the inspiration search takes up more time than the actual doing.

2 comments:

PP@pimpmybricks.wordpress.com said...

It reminds me of tattoos which have very personal meanings. How lovely to be able to wear clothes that tell part of your story (and look good at the same time).

Rosa said...

Well thank you, I love the tattoo reference as I hadn't thought about it like that.