Sunday, September 25, 2011

pin-cushions

Me and the girls have a big sewing project coming up in the next couple of weeks, so I decided that our pin collection needed sorting out.  Numbers had dwindled to pretty pathetic proportions, so off I went to the haberdashers and bought three boxes of pins, one of which had pins with buttons, bows and flowers on the ends which was pretty exciting!  And I made three pin cushions. 
 out of some material I have had for some time now and loved very much but had no idea what to do with.  I'm not very good at chopping up lovely fabric, it fills me with fear and trepidation, just incase I stuff it up and the fabric is ruined for ever.  
 We now have the problem of not being able to stick pins in where the lion, man and giraffes are.  It seems a bit cruel somehow.
 The idea for these was pretty much taken from a lovely friend of mine who had made some beautiful big square pin-cushions out of lovely old embroidered linen.  My daughter was very impressed, and I felt a bit feeble picturing our own selection. Anyway now we have one each, great, except although I shared out all the pins equally, there has been arguing and pin swapping already.

1 comment:

melissa said...

i love your pincushions and laughed a lot about not wanting to stab the characters. what beautiful fabric- so good to have something practical made out of it that you can look at every day.